Saturday, September 14, 2013

Guys, I Want a Castle (St. Andrews Part III)

   On September 5th we visited Guthrie Castle. Our family name came from these Guthries, though we aren't actually blood relatives. The oldest part of the castle is the square tower which was built in 1468. The rest of it was added in 1848.
   The castle grounds have been turned into a golf course (they like their golf in Scotland), but there is a garden in front of the house. Calling it a garden is such a vast understatement. I just wandered around imagining I was in Wonderland. 
   You normally aren't allowed to go in the garden, but the nice ground workers let us in. Thanks nice ground workers! Exploring the garden was one of my top four favorite experiences from this trip. I snapped lots of pictures, enjoy!

















P.S. I've tried to convince dad we need to grow some hedges back home. But the fact that these hedges took one-hundred and sixty years to grow might put a damper on my plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment