Wednesday, July 31, 2013

So Long July

   As I reflect on this past month, so many thoughts & emotions assail me. I have done & seen so much. I've packed, traveled, walked, settled in, met new people, seen new places, done new things.

    It's been a good month & a hard month. I'd be lying if I told you I haven't had low moments. Sometimes all I want to do is go back home, go back to normal & comfortable. Sometimes I just want my bed. And a lot of times I want to just be with my friends, to hang out, play games, watch movies, go shopping, & get ice-cream. And I always miss my big brother.

   But you see, I've always longed for adventure. I've read about it in books. I've always wanted to be whisked off to another world, to either save it or be saved. And while England might not be another world, it's a new place & therefore I feel like I'm on an adventure. But it's not always what I expected it to be like.

   When you read a book you don't feel the fatigue the character feels after they've walked around all day in the hot sun. You don't experience their loneliness that comes from being thousands of miles away from all their friends. No, you're curled up in your comfortable chair in your room with epic music playing in the background.

   So now I am conflicted. I yearn for adventure when I'm home, but when I'm gone I just want what's comfortable & familiar. So I wonder, is there any hope?

   But God whispers to me, "Yes." He built this longing for adventure into my soul. He has an adventure planned for me that's even greater than I can imagine. But he also has a home awaiting me, for when my adventure in this life is over. He's telling me to be content where he has me. To enjoy the blessings he's given me today.

   So in August, I shall strive to be content. I want to enjoy this phase of my life. I shall ignore the hardships & delight in the blessings. For:

 This is the day the LORD has made. Let's rejoice and be glad today! Psalm 118:24
 (God's Word translation)

2 comments:

  1. Favorite post yet. I think everyone needs to remember this. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete